Saturday, December 29, 2007

Kylie Minogue awarded an OBE in New Year Honors List

Kylie MinogueAustralian pop princess Kylie Minogue has been awarded an OBE in the New Year Honors list.

33-year-old Minogue - who recently battled breast cancer, said that she was "deeply touched" to be given the award - standing for Officer of the British Empire.

Next month will mark 20 years since Kylie's first single 'I Should Be So Lucky' topped the charts.

Speaking from her family home in Melbourne, the '2 Hearts' singer added: "I feel deeply touched to be acknowledged by the UK, my adopted home, in this way."

"This last year I have felt so much love and support from everyone as I took greater steps back into the public domain, and it is with absolute gratitude and joy that I say farewell to 2007 and look forward to what the New Year will bring."

'Lord of The Rings Star' Sir Ian McKellen becomes a Companion of Honor, which is restricted to just 65 members alongside the Queen.

"I am honoured to join an order which includes such distinguished practitioners in the arts," the 68-year-old actor and gay rights campaigner told the BBC.

"It is particularly pleasing that 'equality' is included in my citation."

Soul pioneer Jazzie B also receives the OBE. He told BBC 1Xtra: "Hopefully it's a little bit of a sign for anybody else that things can happen - it's just a case of staying strong and believing in yourself.

Jethro Tull singer Ian Anderson and Martin Mills, founder of the Beggars Group of labels, both receive MBEs.

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker