Sunday, December 30, 2007

Julia Roberts says having children turned her into an eco-warrior

Julia RobertsHollywood lovely Julia Roberts has revealed that having children has transformed her into a bit of an eco-warrior.

She said: “With the environment it’s kind of overwhelming, the state that we are in. Having children makes you realize all these things.

“They are perfect and you think, ‘How can I help sustain their state of bliss and progress?’ And really beating up the planet the way we have is not going to do that. Having kids is a great catalyst for reflection and action.

“It makes you say, ‘OK, what’s the thing that I can truly attack?’ It sounds silly when you talk about composting, but it’s something that is manageable in my household, something that I know we can accomplish.”

To prove she was committed to saving the planet, the 'Pretty Woman' star, 40 - who is reported to earn around $26 million per film, shelled out a whopping $30 million on a green makeover for her Malibu home.

Her new, eco-friendly pad features wood harvested from sustainable forests, recycled tiles, solar panels and a host of other energy conservation features.

She added to British newspaper The Sun: “I drive a biodiesel car and I try to set goals that are achievable as opposed to saying, ‘I am going to be completely waste-free in my house.’ It’s just a little bit at a time.”

Julia, who met husband Daniel Moder, on the set of the film The Mexican in 2000, also spoke about her joy of being a parent: “Motherhood is the best thing ever. It’s definitely a challenge. It’s the most fun thing but it’s a tough, tiring thing.

“I’m really lucky that I was able to have 20 years of a career before I had my kids so I don’t really feel torn this way and that.

“I feel very content to be at home, be a mum, have a very simple day-to-day life and occasionally get to go off and work.”

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker