Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Saoirse Ronan says she’ll have plastic surgery when she’s older

Saoirse RonanAtonement actress Saoirse Ronan says she will have plastic surgery when she's older - if she's not as beautiful as Vanessa Redgrave.

The Irish teen made her cheeky comments when discussing her role in the Oscar-nominated British movie.

Ronan, 13, and Redgrave, 71, play the same character, Briony Tallis, at different stages in her life.

Saoirse says: "Yes, I play the young Vanessa Redgrave in a movie.

"Now, I've a bit of pressure to grow up and look like her.

"She's a beautiful woman, and it's kind of a compliment to me that I get to play the young her."

Ronan, who was talking to the newspaper USA Today, agreed she could always resort to plastic surgery if she doesn't fulfill the challenge naturally. "Exactly," she says. "I'm in LA."

Redgrave and Ronan seem to belong to a mutual admiration society because the older actress is equally complimentary about her co-star. The veteran called the teen "a remarkable actress and a lovely girl. Saoirse is wonderful."

Ronan, who has been promoting the movie in the US, admits that sometimes the Americans don't get her sense of humor. She says: "They're surprised that I'm nothing like Briony.

"They're so surprised number one, that I have this weird alien accent and that I'm shaking their hand and smiling.

"I'm Irish, so I'm messing all the time. Which means, I'm having a laugh.

"I'm always making jokes. I'm completely the opposite basically except we both have that imaginative thing going on."

In Atonement, which is based on Ian McEwan's novel, Briony causes a lifetime of trouble when she accuses her sister's boyfriend of rape. But Ronan defends her precocious character saying: "The whole thing about acting is imaging you're that person, so that's what I did.

"I just started to understand her completely. She's not this bitchy character. She's just confused.

"She doesn't reveal anything. I just had to understand that. She tried to forget about it and couldn't. She's so guilt-ridden."

Ronan shares something else with her character beyond their age. Like Briony Tallis who opens the movie with her desire to put on a play she has written, Saoirse makes short films at home in Ireland.

She says: "I do little films at home on the camcorder, and I invite my friends over for a play date.

"I invite them down to play football but then I rope them in. Because I've done films, I want to say 'rolling' and have the clapper-board."

Ronan has been acting professionally for about four years getting into the business through her father Paul who is also an actor. An agent told her dad there were some roles for girls her age. Ronan started doing "little Irish dramas."

"There was this series called The Clinic and I went up for it and I got it," she says. "It was a small little part but I really like it. Now I'm here."

'Here' is completing another movie, this time in LA, based on a successful novel - The Lovely Bones. Once that is finished in March Ronan insists she wants to get back to being the average 13-year-old.

"I want to go back to school," she says. "I haven't been in school for about seven months."

And while Hollywood producers are sending her scripts by the dozen she has got more important things to worry about. "My dog ran away," she says. "It has been a good few weeks now. I reckon she's in doggie heaven.

"She was nine, nearly 10, so she's had a good life."

Ronan is equally philosophical about her career, saying: "There's all these people sending in scripts but I don't like to read them until I'm finished with the film I'm doing at the moment.

"Then you're not thinking about what you should be thinking about."

By Marissa Charles, Feb 12 2008 © Copyright 2008 - Showbiz Spy

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker