Wednesday, January 30, 2008

J.K. Rowling: ‘end of Harry Potter worse than divorce’

J.K. ROWLINGHarry Potter author J.K. Rowling was honored for outstanding achievement at the South Bank Show Awards today and revealed that saying goodbye to the boy wizard was more painful than getting divorced.

The multi-millionaire literary sensation was teary-eyed as she accepted the prize.

Last year saw the publication of the seventh and final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. "It has been the worst break-up of my life - far worse than splitting up with any man," Rowling, 42, told the audience at London's Dorchester Hotel.

"But it has also been wonderful to stop and draw breath and think, 'My God, look what's happened with an idea I had 17 years ago on a train'."

Director and actor Lord Attenborough presented Rowling with the award; he joked that he would have loved a role in the Harry Potter films: "I've got a great complaint against the recipient," he said. "I joined Equity in 1941 and I have been a regular member ever since, therefore I am due a certain amount of respect in these circumstances.

"I think I must be the only English actor of my generation who has got absolutely bugger all out of this extraordinary series that has been read by millions and made into movies.

"Surely there must have been something I could have played? Even just a few lines here and there? Don't think I didn't try!"

Rowling, born Joanne Murray Rowling, then joked that he could take the role of Albus Dumbledore in the next film, saying: "Michael Gambon will shortly be having a hideous accident."

The Harry Potter books have sold more than 400 million copies worldwide and earned the author an estimated more than $1 billion.

She wrote the first book while she was a struggling single mother in Edinburgh, having split from first husband Jorge Arantes.

Rowling said: "There has always been a real disconnection in my mind between the fictional world in which I've spent so many hours and what the printed books were doing in the real world although I absolutely noticed the royalty checks coming in."

Backstage after accepting her award, Rowling dashed the hopes of Potter fans who would love to revisit Harry.

"I think I've definitely finished his story. I said seven books and there have been seven," she said.

By Owen Williams, Jan 30 2008 © Copyright 2008 - Showbiz Spy

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker