Monday, February 11, 2008

Ryan Phillipe opens up about divorce from Reese Witherspoon

Ryan PhillipeHollywood star Ryan Phillipe is finally opening up about his divorce from Reese Witherspoon - calling it: "The darkest, saddest place I had ever been."

Phillipe is speaking out to US magazine W and revealed that the couple's split after seven years of marriage left him unable to get out of bed for five months.

The actor, 33, tells W magazine: "There were a good four or five months of not being able to get out of bed. It was the worst time in my life.

"You get through it. It's a process that's not easy, but I get less and less sad about it every day."

Phillipe and Oscar winning actress Reese had two children together Ava, eight, and four year-old Deacon The couple's split prompted speculation that acting couples cannot peaceably co-exist - especially when the woman becomes more successful than the man - in their case when Reese won an Oscar for her role as June Cash in Walk The Line.

But Phillippe, while he acknowledges that theory, insists he doesn't necessarily buy its premise.

He told W: "I certainly understand the level of interest that comes along with a public marriage, and with being married to someone like Reese, who so many people love with good reason.

"People want answers. But I think sometimes they wouldn't be happy with what the answers would be."

Instead, he says: "The reason for the breakup was far more complicated and far less interesting than it's made out to be.

"To look and search for these salacious reasons, to pin it on a person, or a moment in someone's life, it's not realistic."

The couple are now divorced and Reese has been linked to Hollywood hunk Jake Gyllenhaal while Phillipe himself has been spotted with actress Abbie Cornish.

However he insists the former couple are now able to communicate and remain friends to help them focus on their two children.

He added: "We have done a really good job at keeping things peaceable and completely focused on the children.

"I spend a lot of time just holed up in my house in Los Angeles. I don't really go out because I know it's going to turn into a photo shoot."

Though Phillippe is in the new movie Stop-Loss, a drama about Iraq war soldiers, he admits that the main reason he's of interest to the paparazzi: "Is because I was married to the highest-paid actress in the world.

"Even though I'm not with her any longer, there is a certain amount of notoriety that I guess sticks beyond."

"It's just not interesting to me. It's not how I want to be defined."

As for reports that his current costar, Abbie Cornish, was the reason the marriage ended in divorce, Phillipe laughs off the notion.

He tells W magazine: "It was unfair for her to be called the names that she was, because it wasn't about that.

"I don't think an outside person can ever cause a divorce. I had difficulties in my relationship, and in my marriage, long before I ever met her."

By Nicola Pittam, Feb 11 2008 © Copyright 2008 - Showbiz Spy

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker