Monday, February 11, 2008

Natalie Cole: ‘Amy Winehouse shouldn’t have wone five Grammys’

Natalie ColeEveryone has their critics - and Amy Winehouse is no exception.

Veteran Grammy winner Natalie Cole isn't best pleased the 'Rehab' singer took home five Grammy Awards Sunday.

"I'm going on record as an artist who is able to critique [Amy Winehouse],"  Cole - a recovering drug addict herself - told reporters at a post-Grammys bash yesterday.

"I think she has a great talent, but I don't agree with the Grammys giving her those nods. I think it sends the wrong message, that even in the midst of her stupor of drugs she can get nominated for all these awards.

"It's a slap in the face to musicians and artists who work very hard that they turn around and give it to someone who really obviously doesn't have a grasp of what she has. I've been in this business over 25 years and I sacrificed five years of my own life on drugs and almost lost my life because of it.

"So I take great offence to almost see someone getting glory out of being in the position that they're in — she needs to get her life together and embrace her craft, she will lose it if she doesn't get it together."

Amy, 24, swept the board in her categories picking up Record of the Year, Best New Artist, Best Song of the Year and two awards during the pre-broadcast presentation, in the categories of best pop vocal album for "Back to Black" and best female pop vocal. She picked up a total of five trophies, which she dedicated to her locked-up husband Blake Fielder Civil and Camden Town.

By Owen Williams, Feb 12 2008 © Copyright 2008 - Showbiz Spy

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker