Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Kerry Katona: “I’m the British Britney Spears”

Kerry KatonaKerry Katona says the British press treat her worse than troubled pop princess Britney Spears. The former cocaine user says she has been clean for three years but is still labeled a drug binging monster.

She said: "I'm the British Britney Spears which is ridiculous.

"The press write what they want to write about me. Once they've built you up they try to pull you down and they've been doing it for the last two years now.

"You show me one picture of me taking cocaine or coming out of a nightclub in the last two years.

"I've admitted taking it for about a year but look at Amy Winehouse, Pete Doherty and Kate Moss. They're legends for it and I don't do it anymore.

"I've just recently done a drugs test which I had to do for a court case and of course it came back negative which I knew it would anyway.

"It's just unfair. I want people to forget what they read and remember the Kerry that won in the jungle because that's still me."

The former I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here winner admitted turning to cocaine after splitting from first husband Brian McFadden, but says she has not touched drugs for just over three years. "It took me a year to grieve over Brian and to actually cry. Cocaine gave me the confidence and helped me lose weight," she said.

Katona denies that finding fame with girl band Atomic Kitten at the age of 16 had anything to do with her addiction. She said: "It was the people I was brought up with. I was one of those girls from a council estate, in care, eight different schools, pushed around from here to there.

"My mum was a manic depressive, alcoholic cocaine user. The fame helped me get away from it if I'm honest.

"While I was in Atomic Kitten on tour I was getting phone calls from mum saying she was being beaten up by her boyfriend but none of that's come out in the papers."

Katona, who is expecting her second child with husband Mark Croft, also denied rumors she is on the brink of bankruptcy and says she has signed another contract as the face of Iceland supermarket. "I've been in the best place since I've been with Mark. I'm not going bankrupt," she said on Channel 4's Richard and Judy.

Her new show, Kerry Katona's Crazy in Love starts on Sunday on MTV One.

By Kim Gregory, Feb 13 2008 © Copyright 2008 - Showbiz Spy

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker