Sunday, March 2, 2008

Gwen Stefani felt like an ‘asshole’ when she came to record her first solo album

Gwen StefaniGwen Stefani has admitted she felt like an 'asshole' when she came to record her first solo album - because she was overwhelmed by the talent of the other musicians.

The singer-turned-designer said she was terrified - and almost gave up on the idea. But she said she stuck with it and was glad of her courage.

She said: "Going in to work with all of those really talented people, I just felt like such an asshole.

"Like, I don't know what I'm doing and I don't really play an instrument and suddenly I'm in a room with Dre and Pharrell and Andre 3000.

"It was the most intimidating experience of my life.

"Obviously I am glad I did it though. I could easily have not made a solo record. It was purely the result of following my heart."

Stefani, 38, took a break from her band No Doubt to release her debut album, Love. Angel. Music. Baby in November 2004. It featured a number of collaborations with some of hip-hop's biggest stars.

She married British rocker husband Gavin Rossdale in London in 2002. In May 2006 she gave birth to her first son, Kingston. And in January 2008 it emerged that she was pregnant for a second time. She is expected to give birth in June.

And she told the new issue of fashion magazine V that her life has been transformed by becoming a mother.

She said: "Kingston didn't really change me so much as he just made my life better.

"He makes me so happy. It's hard to imagine until you have a child of your own.

"It's just one of those miraculous human things that you have to experience for yourself.

"God, I'm gonna start crying when I talk about this because it's just so intense.

"I'll be rocking him to sleep and he'll be playing with my hair and it's just the most amazing feeling in the world. To have this little guy who loves me so much automatically, it's just crazy.

"My favourite time of the day is now six-thirty in the morning.

"We all get up and spend the morning together. Now, you can ask Gavin and he'll tell you that I'm a sleepaholic.

"I love to sleep. If you had ever told me that I'd be waking up at six in the morning and enjoying it - for whatever reason - I would have never believed you.

"The last time I got up that early on a regular basis was when I was in high school."

And she said she did find herself having "Mom-zilla" moments - when she became a 'Mom' obsessed with making sure her child gets the best of everything.

She tells the Spring 2008 issue of the publication: "You realize that they [your children] are going to grow up and make messes and whatever.

"You can't be psycho about it.

"Still, I understand the whole crazy 'mom' thing because after you have kids you want them to have the best - even if it's the perfect organic carrot - because you love them so much.

"It just happens. Everyone should become a little bit crazy over their kid because kids deserve it.

"It's the greatest thing that ever happened to me."

She also said she had to work at her marriage to Bush musician, Rossdale, 42.

She added: "It's just so weird that people feel free to comment on your marriage.

"Gavin and I fell in love 12 years ago and we have had the rockiest, craziest, most amazing relationship.

"It's sort of a miracle, actually.

"We work very hard at it. Gavin is awesome. Oh god, what a quote - he's awesome."

By Gavin Wilson, Mar 02 2008 © Copyright 2008 - Showbiz Spy

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker