Monday, February 25, 2008

Harrison Ford opens up to Barbara Walters

Harrison FordVeteran star Harrison Ford has told how he still fitted into Indiana Jones' trademark leather jacket 19 years after his last outing as the action hero.

The 65-year-old said he had no hesitation bringing Indy back to the big screen. But he revealed the character has been allowed to age with him - although he still knows how to crack his bullwhip.

US journalist Barbara Walters asked Ford if he could still squeeze into his Indy outfit almost 20 years on. He told her Oscar night special: "Yeah, it still fitted.

"He is 20 years older.

"In this business it wasn't the obvious choice.

"We could have pretended that period of time didn't exist.

"I act 20 years older.

"We acknowledge the passage of time."

Ford says he doesn't feel like he needs to win an Oscar to prove himself and would rather have the respect of his peers on set. He said: "The Oscar represents the respect of your peers.

"I respect the people I work with.

"I would rather earn their respect on the set day by day.

"That means more to me than an award really.

"I think I'm understood as an actor, that my utility has been understood.

"I'm useful in some things. I'm not useful in other things.

"I have tried to have as broad a utility as possible."

Ford also spoke of his love of flying and his happiness with US TV star Calista Flockhart, who he has been with for seven years. Asked how he would like to be remembered, he said: "As a good collaborator.

"As a good partner. I mean that in all aspects of life, professional and personal.

"Somebody that put something into it."

By Owen Williams, Feb 25 2008 © Copyright 2008 - Showbiz Spy

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker