Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Craig Ferguson celebrates becoming an American citizen

Craig FergusonScottish comic Craig Ferguson celebrated becoming an American citizen - to the sounds of bagpipes and a Claymore drum.

The star hosted a special edition of his U.S. show 'The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson' to commemorate becoming an American.

Ferguson took the American citizenship oath and pledged allegiance to the U.S. flag along with 3,000 other immigrants in Pasadena, California, last week.

He said last night: "I was sworn in on Friday so this is my first week as an American citizen.

"I would like to express my gratitude to all the people of America - even though you are probably thinking, 'Well there goes the neighborhood.'"

But the 45-year-old showbiz star - who moved to the states in 1994 - made it clear to his audience that he is also still a Scot. "My guests tonight are known for their trademark Scottish tribal sound," Ferguson said.

"They are here with me tonight to reassure my ex-patriot brethren and anyone watching at home wondering if I will stop being Scottish now that I've become an American citizen."

Ferguson then rolled up his sleeved to bang a drum with The Wicked Tinkers. "I'm still Scottish as well," Ferguson said.

He joked: "Scottish and American - it's like being bi-curious."

Earlier the star showed footage taken at his swearing in ceremony. "The greatest of honour of all is citizenship and I would like to thank everyone who made it happen," he said.

The recovering alcoholic added: "It was one of the greatest weekends of my life, of the ones I can remember anyway.

"Now I can vote in the American election and American Idol, I feel so powerful."

By Eric Munn, Feb 05 2008 © Copyright 2008 - Showbiz Spy

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker