Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Michael Barrymore: “I have to get on with my life”

Michael BarrymoreMichael Barrymore has hit out at the father of a man found dead in his swimming pool, claiming he shames him to get publicity for his son's death.

The TV star said Terry Lubbock was very nice to him face to face - but not to the cameras.

Talking about his stage debut in a play about writer Spike Milligan, Barrymore, 55, said he heard Lubbock was on the front row at the opening night.

"He's been kind to me and said nice things about me," he said.

"He knows the situation that I wasn't involved (in his son's death) and you have to feel for his situation and how he feels and I totally do.

"But I said to him once quite some time ago, 'why do you keep abashing me and beating me up all the time?' and he said, 'well that's the only way I get publicity'.

"So I thought, okay fair enough if that's what it's going to be, maybe that's the price I will pay."

Although the Lubbock incident damaged Barrymore's image as a wholesome family entertainer and his TV career collapsed, Barrymore said he has learned a lot from what happened. "I have to get on with my life," he said.

"I'm not responsible for how other people feel, good or bad about me. I have to be responsible for myself and I've learned that."

In 2001 partygoer Stuart, 31, was found floating in the swimming pool of Barrymore's luxury home in Roydon near Essex.

Following a lengthy investigation where Barrymore was questioned on suspicion of murder, the former TV presenter was later cleared of any involvement in Stuart's death.

But since he was cleared, Barrymore has vowed to support Lubbock's campaign for a fresh inquest.

"I would support anything he does, I've said this a million times, there's no way I wouldn't support anything he wants to do," he said on This Morning.

He is now reviving his career playing the role of Spike Milligan in the play Surviving Spike with Geordie actress Jill Halfpenny.

By Owen Williams, Feb 06 2008 © Copyright 2008 - Showbiz Spy

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker