Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Isla Fisher hits out at “body fascism”

Isla FisherNew mum Isla Fisher has hit out at "body fascism" plaguing women in showbiz - but admits she's using tummy-smoothing underwear to disguise her extra baby-weight.

The Aussie actress, who's engaged to comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, says she swears by the super-strength garments to suck in her post-baby pounds.

In an interview with USA Today, she told how a grueling celebrity-mandated regime of sweat and starvation isn't her style.

When asked how she's already so trim since giving birth to daughter Olive in October, and she grins mischievously. She lifts up her flowered blouse and declared: "Spanx! You know them? It's night and day!"

Digging into a jar of M&Ms, the former Home and Away star is still breast-feeding and says calorie-counting is a waste of time. "I really felt like there's so much pressure on young women in show business.

"There's so much body fascism. I don't buy into any of it. But I do have good genes," she added.

The Wedding Crashers star remained tight-lipped about her relationship. "Motherhood is my favorite topic in my personal life, but I never talk about it publicly only because I don't want to draw any attention to her," says Fisher, 32. "I want to protect her.

"I'm a private person. Talking at all about your personal life opens the door and shines a light on it, and it feels good at the time, because you please the journalist.

"But at the end of the day, do I go see a movie because I know the private life of the actor in the film?"

Fisher, who plays April - the sharp-tongued sprite in new flick Definitely, Maybe - also wouldn't discuss juggling work with her new role as a mum, but revealed that acting right now "isn't as big a priority".

Hailed as a 'romantic whodunnit', the film is released in the US today, coinciding with Valentine's Day. To Fisher, her character represents a younger version of herself. "April was very similar to me when I was in my early 20s.

"She's free-spirited and apolitical, doesn't believe in marriage and is desperate to travel the world.

"I was like that. She has this arc and ends up working for Amnesty International, which I totally take my hat off to.

"I wouldn't have the strength to work somewhere like that. I'd be crying every day at every crime against humanity that I knew about."

In her every day life, the flame-haired beauty is an enthusiastic chef who says she cooks a mean roasted chicken. And she's also a movie buff who just saw and fell in love with Juno and its Oscar-nominated star Ellen Page. "It's all about Ellen. She's gorgeous," she says.

Fisher is also famous for taming Vince Vaughn's lothario in Wedding Crashers, and says her success has made her more fussy about her roles. "I'm choosy, definitely," Fisher says. "I've made a lot of products in my life that I'm not proud of. I've had to work.

"Now that I'm fortunate enough to get to choose, I'm fussy. Now, I don't have to make decisions as much from fear. It's given me freedom."

She's currently shooting Confessions of a Shopaholic in New York and says she's excited about portraying retail addict Rebecca Bloomwood on the big screen. "I loved those books. I'm such a Sophie Kinsella fan. She's such a talented writer, and it taps into the consumer collective conscience," Fisher says. "I've done a lot of research - a lot of shopping."

By Owen Williams, Feb 13 2008 © Copyright 2008 - Showbiz Spy

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker