Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Eric Dane reveals the cancer scare that changed his life

Eric Dane, OK! MagazineGrey's Anatomy star Eric Dane has revealed he had a terrifying cancer scare that changed his life.

The hunky actor rushed to a doctor after spotting a problem area on his lips that he feared could be skin cancer.

"I was told it was malignant tissue caused by sun damage," he recalls. "Before you realize how important sun block is, it is too late."

He had the area burnt off - but then reacted badly to a special cream he was given after the procedure. "I had a really severe reaction to the cream," Eric told a U.S. magazine.

"My skin is very sensitive, and my lip was traumatized by the procedure I had to go through."

For weeks, he found eating painful - at times even impossible. "I didn't eat very well for a couple of weeks and lost a bunch of weight," Eric explains, estimating that he dropped at least 10 pounds off his 61 frame while dealing with his cancer.

"That was tough - but if that's the trade-off, fine."

Dane says he was "a big boy" and went through the procedure alone. But wife Rebecca Gayheart, 36, shared his pain. "Any time a medical crisis happens to one partner, a spouse is impacted," she said.

"You deal with the issue because, if one person is hurting, the other is hurting as well."

Eric is using his scare to warn other people about the need to use sun block. "This is probably something that happened so long ago," he said, believing he may have got it while regularly surfing as a child.

"I wasn't so vigilant then - I am now.

"And I think everybody should be."

By Owen Williams, Feb 06 2008 © Copyright 2008 - Showbiz Spy

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker