Thursday, January 31, 2008

Matt Lauer grills Dr. Phil about his involvement with Britney Spears

Dr Phil McGrawTV 'shrink' Dr. Phil McGraw was grilled by Matt Lauer on Wednesday's Today Show - and was asked a series of tough questions about his involvement with Britney Spears.

Dr. Phil insists that he did nothing wrong by visiting the troubled Toxic singer at Cedars-Sinai hospital on Jan. 5, two days after she was taken there for a psychological evaluation. He arrived just as she was checking out, but released a statement later saying, "My meeting with Britney leaves me convinced more than ever that she is in dire need of both medical and psychological intervention."

McGraw - who later came under fire for commenting on the singer's mental condition to the media, told Lauer, "If I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't say a word."

McGraw defended criticism for joining the long line of people exploiting the 26-year-old pop wreck since the shocking incident. On Jan. 9, a rep for Britney's mom, Lynn, said, "The family basically extended an invitation of trust for himAny statements publicly that he made, because he was brought in under this cloak of trust, are just inappropriate."

The 57-year-old doctor - who shot to fame in 1998 following several appearances on The Oprah Winfrey Show, defended himself to Matt, saying, "If you notice in that statement I said not a word, not one syllable about anything that took place while I was there. Nor will I ever. I don't think that would be right. And I didn't say anything in the statement that I haven't said before and that anybody with common sense doesn't know." In the end, he added, "I certainly do not apologize for trying to help this family or this girl in trouble."

By Owen Williams, Jan 31 2008 © Copyright 2008 - Showbiz Spy

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker